The original block of stone weighed over twelve tons and looked
intimidating sitting alone and uncut next to the other carvers blocks from
the quarry. I spent a full week roughing the block out, this process removed
around 2 tons of stone.
The second step was to rough the sculpture in while it was
still standing. Using stone wedges, a diamond blade saw
and a hand point chisel and hammer it started to take shape.
I finished as much
as I could while the stone was standing.
After laying the carving down, I had a better angle to work with. It was
time to smooth the flat surfaces that were to be polished. This was done
with a hand held air hammer and a water grinder with diamond tips.
Getting the mass away from the heads to give
them a round appearance was done with diamond blade saws and wedges. Then
using a torch I scaled the remaining stone off smoothing the surface to a
consistent texture. After this was done on both sides, it was time to
upright the stone again.
Now with the
sculpture shaped, I put the consistent texture over the rest of the required
areas with a bushing hammer and then began to smooth the heads for
The polishing was done with synthetic
diamonds on a hand held grinder. This is a nine step process which gives the
stone a mirror-like finish.
The sculpture was now ready to be shipped. My
part was finished, except for the worry of damage in shipping and the
placement. It was quite a job getting this piece to its resting place at
the garden, but it has finally found its home.